Binge and Emotional Eating Program
Overcoming Binge and Emotional Eating Group Program
Binge & Emotional Eating Program
ONLINE- 1st cohort April 2019
OR @ Sylvania Waters clinic.
10 weeks self-paced online
OR 10 weeks plus private followup appointment in person
DAY/ TIME/ START DATE
Online- weekly content for 10 weeks, start any time
In person- next group to start end of Jan 2020. Waitlist open now
In person- $550, incl private followup appointment
In-person groups are small, of just 4-6, and may fill fast. If you're interested, don't wait to enquire!
Are you ready to regain control of emotional eating, and finally make peace with food?
Don’t be tempted to sign up for yet another weight loss challenge! Did you know the cycle of restriction, deprivation and guilt from dieting is actually one of the main causes of overeating? Learn how to break the cycle instead. Our Overcoming Binge and Emotional Eating Program will teach you the skills you need to enjoy a healthy relationship with food for the rest of your life.
Each week, you’ll learn more about the science of eating behaviour, plus practical strategies to take back control of food, and feel more comfortable with your body.
Some of the topics we'll cover include:
- Why binging and overeating happens. How our food choices can lead us to a binge. What cues in our internal and external environments lead to binges.
- How to trust yourself again around your favourite foods.
- The myth of dieting. Why everything the weight loss industry sells us is wrong, and why we need to let it go.
- What healthy and constructive goals we can focus on when we're trying not to focus negatively on our weight, and how weight is actually regulated.
- How to listen to your body's appetite cues, so you're eating the right amounts, types of food and frequency that suits you best.
- How to work out what you really want, if you don’t actually need food. How to soothe emotions without food.
- Is food addiction a real thing? Why am I so hung up on sugar?
- How to make sure you get maximum enjoyment and satisfaction from food, so you never feel deprived again.
- Learn what balance and moderation really mean, and how to achieve them instead of continually swinging from restriction, to over-eating, and back again. (Yes, you WILL be able to have open packets in the house without having to finish the contents in one hit!).
- The nutrition knowledge that actually matters, and why most of what you read is not only wrong, but isn’t even that important.
- Build your nutrition-confidence, and stop worrying about the food decisions you’re making for yourself and your family.
- Ask all of your food and nutrition questions, in a judgement-free environment
- Be a body-positive role model for your children, and help them to develop a healthy relationship with food.
Every week is fun, informative, and interactive. There will be hands-on activities each week, and tasks to do each week so you can practice your skills between sessions, plus discussion time at in-person groups so we can all learn and benefit from each others’ experiences (sharing is optional!).
How do I do the program online?
We're nearly ready to launch online delivery, and you'll see a signup button on this page soon!
In the meantime, if you're interested in being part of the first cohort to start in April 2019, please fill in the contact form below, selecting 'online' as the delivery method. Emma will then call to take you through the same screening process for in-person intake described below, and keep you in the loop as the start date draws nearer!
What you get ONLINE:
- 10 Weeks of online pre-recorded webinars which you can watch in your own time
- Printable notes and homework sheets, so you can create your own program folder if you're a tactile kinda person, and scribble your own notes as you listen to lectures & group chats.
- All program materials are accessible from the online homepage for that week- so there's no searching through your emails looking for lost resources!
- A live monthly online group chat. This is your opportunity to ask questions, get feedback, and be inspired by others who are also working towards food freedom and better body image. Live chat member questions are recorded, so if you can't make it on the day you can always listen to them later 🙂
- Although the program is self-paced, we recommend sticking to the one module per week format, and there's no skipping ahead! You will need to be able to commit time each week to keeping up to date with videos and doing the homework tasks, especially if you want to stay up to date & chat about the same topics with the rest of your group!
Online Program Cost
To make the program more accessible, there are two payment options:
Option 1: Single upfront discounted payment of $450
Option 2: Three monthly payments of $185
This is peanuts for a life liberated from food worries and better body image!
How Do I Join an In-Person Group?
An initial (free) screening phone call to discuss your needs and assess your suitability for the program is required.
If the program is suitable for you, and you choose to go ahead, the program cost including final progress private consultation is $550.
This is excellent value for a life free of overeating issues, and over 20hrs with a skilled and experienced dietitian!
NOTE- A number of places are available in each program for pensioners/ health care card holders. Please enquire about rates and availability when you contact us about the program.
What You Get:
- 10 weekly interactive group seminars
- Your take-home program guide with weekly session notes, so you can go back over the materials whenever you want to in future.
Included 1-to-1 in-clinic review appointment after the program has finished, to talk about how much progress you've made, and any last questions you have.
How can I sign up for in-person?
We require that all interested people please fill in the contact form below to arrange a date/ time for your suitability assessment phone call. You're also welcome to contact Emma using the form below to ask general questions about the program.
I have/ had an eating disorder, can I join?
This is one of the issues looked at when we're determining whether this program is a good fit for you. If you have a history of an eating disorder, or current binge-eating disorder, you may indeed still be suitable. If you're applying to join an in-person group, we will likely require that you have extra individual dietitian and/ or psychology sessions. (If you don't have a psychologist, we can suggest some local providers who have special training and expertise in eating behaviours).
For online delivery, on the signup page we'll talk about some common mental health concerns that might influence how helpful the program is for you, to help you make the decision about whether to join. Of course, you can always fill in the enquiry form below and ask to chat about the program's suitability for you in confidence.
I want to work on binging behaviours, but I'm really not keen on groups or doing a program. Can I get help with binge eating via private appointments?
Absolutely! Binging and other eating behaviour difficulties are my specialist area of practice. If you do prefer individual treatment so you can work at your own pace, or if you feel your binge eating disorder is severe, all you need to do is make an appointment. We can then discuss your unique needs, and tailor a course of treatment for you. The usual Medicare/ private health rebates apply.
Will I lose weight?
We need to make it very clear that this is NOT a weight loss program. The goal of this program is to focus on stopping binge eating and minimising the behavioural drivers of binge eating. To do this effectively, we cannot be focusing on weight loss at the same time.
Lots of people assume that if binge eating stops, weight loss will happen naturally. For some people this is true, but for some people it isn't, and there is no way to predict the impact of stopping binging on an individual's future weight. What we CAN tell you is that binge and emotional eating tends to result in gaining of weight year after year. Breaking free of the binge eating cycle and normalising eating habits most often has the effect of stopping this weight gain, therefore stabilising weight in future. The part we can't predict is where your body will prefer for its weight to stabilise. It's well known that the weight yo-yo'ing that results from the diet-cycle is very detrimental to metabolic and mental health. Weight stability and maintenance of healthy habits is known to improve metabolic and mental health- even if no weight has been lost!
Of course, we'll talk about the reasons why we're deliberately not focusing on weight during the program in great detail. It's ok to still want and hope for weight loss when joining the program, we just ask that you can put the focus on weight aside for the duration of the program, while we're working on eating behaviours together.
I'm keen to join! Let's get the ball rolling...
Great! Please fill in the form below to arrange your screening phone call. We'll be in contact with you in the next couple of working days.
Fill in your details to register your interest, and arrange your 20min assessment phone call to determine whether the program is suitable for you.
Not sure if this group is right for you yet?
The Recovery Inspo newsletter is the perfect way to get an insight into what we do, and how we do it. It's a great way to see whether you like our approach, while you're considering booking in with us or joining a group program. And hopefully, whether you decide to work with us or not, we'll help to keep you that little bit more motivated to keep pushing towards recovery!